Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My Dog and the movie Pasifier

His name is Rebel. Actually, his name was Rebel, since he died about three years ago. (I remember the exact date: August 8th, 2005). It was pretty sad. Here is what exactly happened before his death.

I was at a friend's house with my brother. We were watching a movie, the Pasafier. We got called home, and we ran down the street to our house. When we came into the door, my mother was putting the phone into the reciver and she was in tears! I wondered, what the heck is up? Mom pretty much never cries! I didn't feel very good, because just a couple days before he was sleeping more, was loosing hearing and eyesight, and almost never came up the 4th level stairs into the 3rd level.

My mom announced, "Dad is coming home early." She stopped and looked down a little. I asked, "why?" It wasn't really like him to come home unless it was pretty urgent, like I was having an allergic reation or something. (Trust me, that's happened in the past, but that's a whole different story!) She looked back up at us and said, her eyes tearing up, "we're going to the vet. We need to put Rebel...to sleep." My eyes buldged and my brother immediatly joined mom in the cry fest. I felt horrible. I said, trying to toughen up, "but why? Why now?"

About fifteen minutes later we were a little better and pretty much ended the big sob party. She said, clearing her throat, "When I got home from work, I heard a dog crying. I went into the 3rd level and it got louder. I knew it was Rebel, so I opened the 4th level door and it became louder than ever. Finally, I saw Rebel. He was crying, moaning, and whimpering. He couldn't move anything below his head. I gave him some Advil and helped him up the stairs into the 3rd level. I called Dad and said what happened. He agreed that we needed to bring him to the vet. I'm so sorry."

We started the sob fest again, this time wetter then ever. We went downstairs and hugged Rebel as much as we could. We wanted to make his last moments with him memories that--we hoped--he'd remember forever.

Once we got to the vet--Dad and all--Rebel needed carrying out of the truck. It was pretty sad to watch. We went into the room with the vet and I decided to watch Rebel be put down with my dad. Mom and my brother would wait in the waiting room.

As the needle was going in, he started to topple over and then fell, completely motionless. I started to sniffle and tear up. I knew I'd never get to see him again. I looked over to my dad, he tried a fake smile, but I saw his watery eyes and knew he felt the same way as I did, just with little emotion.

My brother and mom came in, and we just looked at our dad, cried, and whiped our eyes with tissues. I hated that moment, and I always will. My first dog--and probably my only dog--had left us for good. No getting around it, and that I can never get over.


Now, I really, really, really dislike the movie Pasafier just because I saw it on the day of Rebel's perminint absence. And because it just wasn't a very good movie. I don't know why I dislike it so much, but I do, and it'll probably always stay that way. Have your dogs ever died or you had to see your dog be put down? If so, share the pain! I know your not along on that one, if you read this entry. Well, keep reading,
Lindsey

No comments: